Sunday, June 11, 2017

I have never blogged before so I don't know how this is going to work, but I figured I'd give it a shot,  Diyanne and I are what is called "Boondockers", which means we live in her van and travel from free campsite to free campsite, staying in between at truck stops.  We've been doing this off and on since April 17, 2017 (there was a 2 1/2 week gap in the middle where I was at the City Mission, but that's not important).

The first part of the trip we went to GA, SC and FL.  I'm not going to go into detail here because I'm old and don't remember a lot of it.  What I do remember is being eaten alive in Florida, going to my first ever drag show in Daytona (what a blast!), getting rained out of New River Gorge, and driving, driving, driving!!!  We traveled for about 3 1/2 weeks.

This section we have (surprise!!) gone to SC and FL.  We're really just waiting it out in the Panhandle until I get paid on the 21st.  We're going to Dead River Recreation in Ponce de Leon, FL tomorrow; I'll start trying to keep track of stuff for this blog!

In the meantime, good travel plazas (truck stops):  The TA in Manning, SC has a fitness room and a great TV room; it's very clean and the staff is wonderful!!  The Petro in Ocala, FL is just amazing!  Has a wonderful store for souvenirs, a movie room, a TV room, a barber shop, an Iron Kettle - too much to mention!  The main entrance to the bathrooms don't have doors, so when you're washing up you can hear everything in the store, but that's so minor with the great stuff there.  We are at the Flying J in Quincy, FL, now and this is really nice too.  We've been stuck here two days waiting for our campsite tomorrow, but the staff is friendly - and they have a COVERED smoking area with rocking chairs!!

We've been pretty lucky with weather this time around, but we did drive down from Georgia to Floria in a driving rainstorm.  I'll write more later or sometime, just wanted to get started.



No comments:

Post a Comment